Itchy ears is an extremely common complain of a lot of people. It could either be mild or severe
Every once in a while, we tend to have itchy ears that usually resolves on its own. However severe itching may not resolve on its own until the underlying cause is fixed.
Some of the Causes of Itchy Ears
- Ear infections.
- Ear wax build up.
- Eczema in the ear canal.
- Putting foreign objects into the ears, such as cotton buds, keys, pens or their covers, etc.
- Psychological; anxiety or a nervous habit.
5 ways to Quickly Treat Itchy Ears
- Ensure you do not put anything into the ear
- If you think its wax build up, you can pour 5 drops of olive oil into the ear and cover the outer part of the ear. This would help soften the wax and cause it to come out by itself
- Avoid using ear plugs or ear piece as they could irritate the skin of the ear and cause dermatitis or eczema
- Avoid things or foods you are allergic to. Once the cause of the allergy is gone, the itching stops.
- Over-the-counter antihistamines could help stop the itching also.
However if the itching does don’t resolve or you have additional symptoms like ear discharge, loss of hearing, etc., kindly call a doctor for consultation.